Saturday, April 10, 2010

Just A Little Out of Sorts

So I'm at the doctor's office in October 2009, seeing my new doctor for the first time, and going over my medical history. I describe how I have noticed that lately I have been getting depressed about little things that didn't used to bother me. I also describe to him my general fatigue and how I can occasionally feel disinterested in things. I add descriptions of my different little aches and pains (migraines, chronic neck problems, chronic back pains), so he begins a physical exam that includes pressing on different joints. He asks if it hurts, and at first I say "no," because to say that slight twinge of pain 'hurts' feels like it would be lying. Then he touches my left knee. "OW." He looks at me again with concern, then starts the pressing over again; "does this hurt, even just a little bit?" This time I am more honest with him and myself; yes, it hurts. But hardly at all, except for that knee.

At this point, the doctor tells me his initial diagnosis, which quite literally took my breath away: Fibromyalgia. He ordered several blood tests because, as he put it, this is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning he would have to rule pretty much everything else out in order to say for certain whether this was or wasn't what I have. Everything else came up negative, so there is no longer any doubt.

Allow me to give you a bit of my background: I am a female, in my late forties, and I work in a government office that pays insurance benefits to folks who are disabled, usually for only a short period of time. I have been doing this particular job for about 21 years, but I started working for the government 31 years ago. For the first six years of my son's life, I was a single mother, but for nearly twenty years I have been happily married to the man my son now calls "Pop" and "Dad."

I have been noticing for the past few years how it has become increasingly difficult to do many things I enjoy, along with doing things that really need to get done around the house. Originally, I didn't think anything of it, because I presumed it was just part of the aging process. Then I started realizing that many women who were older than me, were running circles around me in these areas, including my own mother, who is currently in her eighties. When she visited from out of state, I thought the reason I was getting so worn out was because I was exhausted from trying to get everything 'just right' before she arrived, and that I hadn't given myself an opportunity to relax. I remember wondering how she does it, the day she dragged me out to my yard to help me clean it up (on her vacation), and when we ran out of daylight, she insisted on baking cookies for my husband and my son, involving me in the process. She could have gone on all night, but before the first batch went into the oven, I was ready to fall into bed and rest my tired body. The next day, I took a handful of ibuprofen and steeled myself for all that I knew she would want to do. I was more tired when she left, than when she first got here.

When the doctor first uttered that 'F' word, I hesitantly looked for information in the resource material they provide at my job, as well as trying to find places to go online that would help me understand the disorder. I also started talking with a coworker who has been diagnosed with the same disorder. I thought at first that my symptoms didn't match up, until I had a lengthy conversation with my coworker about it. What she described to me about how this affected her early on, and even now, lines up almost exactly with what I've been experiencing. Now that I have started to come to terms with this diagnosis, I have decided to make an effort to try to share my thoughts and experiences about this with all of you through this blog, hoping that this form of 'self-therapy' will also benefit others who are coming to terms with the same diagnosis, or suffer from any type of chronic pain. I plan to describe my journey in a bit more detail in my future blogs, in the hope that this will be as helpful for you as I intend.

Thanks for riding along.

No comments: